Whats the format? What do we want to do differently? Do we want to host another conference? Travel to the school sites? What do we change?
- We want to focus on the cultural awareness of the deaf community
- We need to invite hearing community members to learn about deafness and the health topics
- Maybe we could have a Deaf US person talk to them and have Balla translate?
- Action: follow up with contacts in UT Deaf/ASL community.
- Go to other cities- student sin Bamako have many other privileges and opportunities: Deaf Olympics, NGO connections, longer estbalished...
- We would need a larger team- BKO community to travel outside BKO. That's more expensive. We would have to pay for BKO counterparts
- We also would have a lots of expenses by bringing people in (per diems, housing, food...)
- Reason for the conference is to bring people together. CHanging the format makes the conference less sustainable- new format makes it harder to repeat.
- If we travel with BKO partners they could repeat that model too, or make their own (ownership either way)
- Collaboration @ the conference
- Conference- deaf BKO folks talk about how THEY will engage the heairng people in their comunities
- We need them to bring tech back to BKO and do more skillsets with it
- YouTube won't work b/c not all have internet
- mail is not an efficent system
- Bring DVDs annually and share
- Want to repeat the conference model and involve BKO team more so they have more examples
- Need to teach fundraising
- Want everyone to know why it's important- minimize number of people who just come for per diem- make sure this is useful for EVERYONE
- work with BKO team to mkae their own CGIU committment
- application to screen participatns
- Not everyone is literate
- Fund Ben and Balkissa to screen applciants at partner schools- 5 in each city? Create more accountability between partners- passing responsibility to Ben and Balkissa- pay to do?
- Partner with UT orgs to fundraise
How long should the conference be?
- Lizzy- starts a deaf project in Togo
- UT students go to Mali following Summer
- Togo contacts and Burkina Faso participants join Bamako students have a conference together in Bamako.
Structure of Conference
- Can we certify participants for a particular skill within the time line of the conference?
- Have participants pick certain "subject" (for ex: computer, community organization etc.). This way there are specific people with specific skills that they can then disseminate withing their community.
- Each night the groups come up to the "stage" to announce their commitments for the next year.
- Balkissa, Aicha and Benjamin would travel to individual Deaf schools and talk to students, teachers, parents other people while travelling
- Spend 2-3 days per school screening individual participatants
- Kalilou screen - Tombouctou, Goundam, Keita
- Balkissa - Bamako (Hippodrome, Niamakora) , Sikasso, Koutiala
When will the conference be?
- Yes, we want a conference
- We want to video blog again
The meeting ended quickly when they started boarding the plane. Please post comments!